[ UPDATE: 8 October 2015. AusCham’s Grand Final Scrambles raise $7,004 in 2015 – and scores.]
2 SEPTEMBER 2015
Water Safety Vietnam named beneficiary of AusCham’s Charity Program 2015
Dear Members and Friends
On the occasion of the 70th Anniversary of Vietnam’s National Day, AusCham is delighted to announce that the beneficiary of its 2015 Charity Program is Water Safety Vietnam (WSV).
AusCham appointed a Special Panel of four Directors to consider all 20 applications received by the due date of 21 August 2015 – and to then select one outstanding NGO as the beneficiary of the 2015 Charity Program.
Shane Dillon, one of the Panel’s Directors, said that, “We had a great response from many deserving charities for this year’s selection.
“According to Vietnam’s Ministry of Health, it is conservatively estimated that up to 10 children drown each day (or 3,650 each year) in Vietnam. This drowning of children has been described as ‘a silent epidemic’ and teaching children how to swim is a proven intervention for child injury prevention that could save many lives.
“For this reason, Water Safety Vietnam is AusCham’s charity of choice for 2015”, concluded Shane.
Water Safety Vietnam’s Project Manager, Pam O’Reilly replied that, “We really appreciate AusCham’s assistance in this when there are so many other deserving charities all doing such good work in Vietnam.
“Water Safety Vietnam first came to Vietnam in 2011 to see what we could do to try and alleviate the drowning problem. With assistance from many people already living in Vietnam, we feel that we have really surged ahead. However, back home in Australia, it is increasingly difficult to raise the funds and our willing band of volunteers is growing tired.
“This raising of funds and awareness by AusCham will be such an injection of energy for them all,” said a very buoyant Ms Pam!
AusCham will raise proceeds from two fundraisers next month, namely:
- The Annual AusCham Golf Scramble on AFL Grand Final Eve. Golf Scrambles will be played in three cities, namely: HCMC, Danang and Hanoi (Friday, 2 October).
- The 2nd Annual Saigon Melbourne Cup Carnival Dinner, HCMC (Saturday, 24 October, 21015).
We need your help!
To raise funds for Water Safety Vietnam, we need to support the aforementioned fundraisers with cash and in-kind sponsorships.
If you can’t be a sponsor, then support the cause by forwarding the information through your networks and by just attending the events.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all applicants
Again, AusCham thanks all applicants for the outstanding work that they currently do. They make a real difference behind the scenes. Their work is being noticed and it is valued greatly.
Complete list of applicants for AusCham’s 2015 Charity Program
- Water Safety Vietnam – Beneficiary of the AusCham 2015 Charity Program
- Heart Reach Australia
- CED-Center for Research and Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- AWSOM Project
- Viet Uc Student Foundation
- Hearts For Hue
- Warm Hold Association
- Trinh Foundation Australia Ltd (TFA)
- Swim Vietnam
- Step Forward Exchange
- Loreto Kids Charity
- My Future Group
- Lifestart Foundation
- Compassion Vietnam Inc.
- Children’s Hope In Action (CHIA)
- Vietnam Health Improvement Project (VNHIP)
- Youth Social Work Centre of Vietnam Youth Federation
- Navi Communications & Community Development Company Limited (NAVI DECOM) (project title: Breast Cancer Network Vietnam (BCNV)
- KOTO Foundation
- A recent newspaper headline (not uncommon): Three sisters drown in Central Vietnam pond, Thanh Nien News, 3 July 2015
- Water Safety Vietnam’s Website: Click here.
Footnote: Last year, 2014, AusCham’s Charity Program raised USD7,634 for Heartbeat Vietnam.
OTHER NEWS ON THE AUSCHAM WEBSITE
In the toolbar of this website, click on “NEWS” for the drop down menu which includes: