A message from AusCham’s President, Ms Chau Ta, after yesterday’s (19 February 2017) historic signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Nghe An’s People’s Committee and AusCham at the annual Meeting with Investors Forum in Vinh City (scroll further below for Ms Chau’s formal speech and bullet points on related items).
I am very pleased to be with AusCham in achieving another milestone for AusCham Vietnam.
With this MOU, AusCham will be able to offer our members better access to information about projects and opportunities that are being offered in Nghe An and in particular, enhances access to the People’s Committee, suppliers and resources including land.
As an Australian Vietnamese, and as the President of AusCham Vietnam, we are very delighted and excited to work with Nghe An Province People’s Committee to provide support for the development and growth of the Vietnam and Australia bilateral trade relationship.
Below is a speech prepared by the President of AusCham, Ms Chau Ta for the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding Ceremony with the Nghe An People’s Committee in Vinh City on 19 February 2017.
Unfortunately, after receiving advice from organisers, the speech could not be given during the occasion due to time constraints.
The speech is reproduced below.
President Chau Ta’s Speech, MOU Signing, 19 February 2017
In October 2016, AusCham signed an MOU with the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Provinces was a strategic break through, increasing the reach of AusCham specifically and Australian investors generally, across each of the 63 provinces and municipalities outside HCMC and Hanoi.
Against that backdrop, we are very pleased to be here today to sign a more targeted MOU with Nghe An Province – with both parties providing support and assistance to Australian business looking for opportunities and investments in Nghe An, and vice versa – for Nghe An investors looking for potential opportunities and investments in Australia.
With the huge number of alumni of Nghe An having studied abroad, and in particular in Australia, Nghe An poses a very interesting and compelling investment destination for foreign investors general and Australian business specifically.
With this MOU, Auscham will be able to offer our members better access to information about projects and opportunities being offered in Nghe An as well as enhances access to decision makers in people’s committees, suppliers and resources, including land.
The grand opening of Mavin Austfeed yesterday is a great example of a company with Australian interest – representing a wonderful show case of the commitment of Nghe An Province in working together with investors for their mutual benefit.
We have already seen encouraging preliminary results from our MOU with the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Provinces. In the post TPP world, we hope that businesses will again take another closer look at the Free Trade Agreement between ASEAN, NZ and Australia. A great example of the workings of the AANZFATA was that last year, we saw the 5% tariff on Australian wheat being removed (0%) which in part attributed to Vietnam purchasing an additional 40% of wheat from Australia. In the same light, we encourage that the Vietnamese businesses to look into untapped opportunities for exporting to Australia, and vice versa.
We have seen already many existing tools/mechanisms to support Vietnamese investors looking to invest in Australia and vice versa.
This MOU marks the beginning of AusCham’s commitment to Nghe Province in bringing Australian investors to Nghe An and bringing Nghe An opportunities and investments to Australian businesses.
As our Ambassador Craig Chittick had said yesterday during the meeting with FDIs, and for my personal interest being a Vietnamese born Australian, irrespective of the source of investments, whether it is from Australia or elsewhere, it is in Australia’s national interest to see Nghe An and Vietnam thrive.
On that note, Mr Hoa – AusCham is delighted and excited to work with Nghe An Province People’s committee to provide support for the development and growth of the Vietnam Australian bilateral trade relationship.
- To download the MOU in full, click onto MOU – Nghe An Province EN 19 Feb 2017.docx
- For additional photos of the Meeting with Investors Forum, including the MOU Signing Ceremony, click here.
- For a brief introduction to the business opportunities and incentives in Nghe An Province, click onto NgheAnProvince
- For details of Key Projects calling for Investments in Nghe An Province until 2020, download the pdf document.
- To watch a 40 second video of the MOU Signing Ceremony, click on the link below.
Devise long term growth, PM tells Nghe An firms, Vietnam News, 20 February 2017
Devise long-term growth plans, PM tells Nghe An firms, VIR, 20 February 2017
Devise long-term growth plans, PM tells Nghệ An firms, Viet Nam, 20 February 2017
Highly focusing on VSIP Nghe An Project, Báo Nghệ An, 18 February 2017
- Prime Minister attends meeting of investors in Nghe An, VOV5, 20 February 2017
PM asks investors to devise long-term strategies in Nghe An, People Army’s Newspaper, 19 February 2017
- Nghe An urged to boost business start-up, Prime Minister, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Nguyễn Xuân Phúc tham dự Hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Đầu Tư online, 20 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Chính phủ gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Người Lao Động, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng dự hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Pháp Luật Việt Nam, 20 February 2017
- Thủ tướng dự hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, VGPNews, 19 February 2017
- Nghệ An: Thủ tướng Nguyễn Xuân Phúc dự Hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư Xuân Đinh Dậu, Lao động, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng làm việc với lãnh đạo chủ chốt tỉnh Nghệ An, Văn Phòng Chính Phủ, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng dự Hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Văn Phòng Chính Phủ, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Chính phủ gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Báo Mới, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Nguyễn Xuân Phúc chủ trì hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư tại Nghệ An, Báo Nghệ An, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Nguyễn Xuân Phúc dự Hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư Nghệ An năm 2017, Báo điện tử của Bộ Xây Dựng, 19 February 2017
- Thủ tướng Nguyễn Xuân Phúc dự Hội nghị gặp mặt các nhà đầu tư, Petro Times, 20 February 2017
- Thủ tướng mong các nhà đầu tư vào Nghệ An đừng ‘sớm nắng chiều mưa’, Vietnamnet, 19 February 2017