August 18, 2016
Registration: 18:30 - 22:00
Pullman Hotel, Vung Tau
To view the original poster in pdf format, click onto Vietnam Australia Friendship Dinner_poster.
*** To visit the official website of the Organising Committee for the Vietnam Australia Friendship Dinner on Vietnam Veterans’ Day 2016 (50th Anniversary for Long Tan), click onto longtancross.com ***
[Date of Post below: 19 August 2015]
Yesterday, on Vietnam Veterans’ Day 2015, details of a Vietnam / Australia Friendship Dinner on Vietnam Veterans’ Day in 2016 (which coincides with the 50th Anniversary) were announced.
The Gala Dinner will be held next year on Thursday 18 August 2016 in Vung Tau, Vietnam. Confirmed attendees currently include 40 Vietnamese members and several guests of honor from Australia including Lt Col Harry Smith SG MC (Ret), WO Keith Payne VC (Ret) and members from all branches of the Australian military veterans
AusCham’s Board, at its meeting on 10 August 2015, agreed to support the promotion of this event.
Below is a transcript of the Organising Committee’s press release.
VIETNAM VETERANS’ DAY 2016
50TH ANNIVERSARY, 18 August 2016
On the 18th August 2016 it will be 50 years since the Battle of Long Tan and 50 years since the Australians and New Zealanders entered the Phuc Tuy Province. This resulted in seven years of continual operations in the province until the withdrawal in 1972.
Earlier this year (2015), former soldiers of the Liberation Army extended the hand of friendship to their Australian counterparts at several ceremonies that were held in Vung Tau and Ba Ria, Vietnam.
An organizing committee made up of several veterans has been established to hold a Gala Dinner next year on 18 August 2016 in Vung Tau. In attendance will be 40 Vietnamese members and several guests of honor from Australia including Lt Col Harry Smith SG MC (Ret), WO Keith Payne VC (Ret), and members from all branches of the Australian military veterans.
Australia has a strong presence in Vietnam with more than 20,000 Vietnamese students studying in Australia annually and a population that has assimilated into to Australia’s way of life. The Gala Dinner has been organized to build stronger bonds between both countries.
We have strong bonds and trading relationships with Turkey (Gallipoli) Germany (Western Front) Japan (Kokoda) South Korea and now Vietnam.
The Dinner will be held at the Pullman Hotel in Vung Tau which is a new five star resort with seating capacity of 2,000 people. Veterans, partners, children, friends and public are invited to attend this dinner of friendship on 18 August.
Money raised on the night will go to several charities here in Vung Tau, including the Centre for the Protection of Children, Vietnam Veterans and Friends and to the war disabled. The children at the orphanage have 16 children affected by agent orange and need constant care.
This is an opportunity for both sides to get together as both sides lost their youth in Vietnam. Now is a time for healing.
People interested in this event will be able to purchase tickets in early 2016.
The website, www.longtancross.com will launch in September 2015. It will include all details regarding tickets.
The following bars in Vung Tau are helping to organise the event and can provide further information:
- Tommy’s 3 Vung Tau – Glenn, Ph. +84 (0)907 385 23
- Lucy’s Sports Bar – KJ, Ph.
- Adam Troy Bar – Rob, Ph.
- Matildas Pub 3 – Andrew, Ph.
Vung Tau, Vietnam
- 17 August 2016 @6pm: 50th Anniversary Long Tan Concert – One Night Only, Vung Tau
- 18 August 2016 @3.30pm. Long Tan Service, Long Tan Cross.
- 50th Anniversary Long Tan Vietnam Veterans’ Day website
- Former foes return to Vung Tau, March 2016
- Australia-bound after singing 7 Vietnamese National Anthems at ANZAC Friendship Match, 28 April 2016
- Speech by Australian Ambassador, Hugh Borrowman, at Vietnam Veterans’ Day 2015, Long Tan Cross.
- Battle of Long Tan remembered at Vietnam Veterans Day services around Australia, ABC News, 18 August 2015. Article includes comments from Lt Col Harry Smith SG MC (Ret) and WO Keith Payne VC (Ret) who will both attend next year’s Gala Dinner.
- For photos of Vietnam Veterans’ Day 2015 at the Long Tan Cross, click here.
- Photo caption: a prototype shield for the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan on display on 18 Aug 2015. Design by Ross McRae.
What does modern Day Ba Ria – Vung Tau look like?