Ho Tram Water Safety is organising its Annual Charity Bike Ride & Beach Carnival this year from 5.30am Saturday, 3 October to 2pm, Sunday, 4 October 2015. 2015.
For registration details, click here.
Below are details and links from Ho Tram Water Safety.
Ho Tram Water Safety is a consortium of people and organisations, horrified at the high incidence of drowning of children in Vietnam, and committed to improving the level of water safety in the Ho Tram region.
You can find an update of what we do here.
Our annual charity event, this year consists of
- a Saturday bike ride from Ho Chi Minh City to Ho Tram
- an interschool swim meet (city vs village), and
- a Sunday Beach Carnival.
1. Bike ride – 3 routes, 80km, 110km and 200km.
|The short 80km ride will be from Long Thanh to Ho Tram, with bus transport from HCMC to Long Thanh, suited to fit though irregular bike riders.||The longer 110 km ride is from HCMC, via the Cat Lai ferry, down the highway for a short stint, and then turn left via Ngai Giao, suited for fit regular riders.||The extra long 200 km ride is from HCMC, to Ho Tram, will be led by Cosimo Jencks, suited for fit experienced riders.|
2. School swim meet – provisionally a swim meet between AIS, ISHCMC, and the Ho Tram swimming team! We’ve done 2 before and should be a great day out. Further details will be via the schools, but suggest you register here, and book your accommodation early!
3. Beach carnival & ocean swim – further details to be forthcoming. Anticipate a large beach tent with a BBQ and beverages, plus beach activities including a 500m ocean swim, a demonstration rescue by local and Australian life guards, and beach activities.
Other contributors welcome, please email email@example.com.
This year we will offer the following prizes;
- Best and fairest rider – as judged by SVCC – a 2 hour boat ride on the Saigon River, with drinks and pizza from Al Fresco.
- Best and fairest swimmer – as judged by MLSC – a banana boat ride at Ho Tram.
- The largest sponsorship raising – target 3k -a weekend at Sanctuary in a villa for 8 people.
- The second largest sponsorship raising – target 2k – a FatBike from The Bike Shop.
- The third largest sponsorship raising – target 2k – a dinner for four at Lubu, with wine from the Warehouse.
- Other prizes to be announced.
So please support our activities, and this very special weekend for 2015.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help, especially with support cars … we need enough to have backup.
For registration details, click here.
Ho Tram Water Safety Consortium
- Indochine Engineering (of which Carl Gay is CEO), Water Safety Vietnam, AIS and ISHCMC are all 2015 members of AusCham.
The following list of recent drownings, as reported in Thanh Nien News, has been compiled by AusCham (and was first published on the AusCham website here).
Recent drownings of children reported in Thanh Nien News: May-July 2015
- 28 July, 2015. Two students dead after reservoir release swept them away. “A sightseeing trip is southern Vietnam turned tragic on Sunday after two teenagers were swept away by water discharge at a reservoir in southern Vietnam.”
- 28 July, 2015. Man dies after falling from waterfall in central Vietnam. “His friends said he slipped and fell. He could not swim and quickly drowned.”
- 24 July 2015. Three siblings, aged 8 to 11, drown when looking for food in southern Vietnam. “A boy and his twin sisters drowned while trying to catch crabs near their home in Ba Ria Vung Tau on July 22… In related news, two ninth graders drowned on Thursday while swimming in the Vach Bac River in Nghe An Province.”
- 14 July, 2015. 2 tourists drown in rescue attempt in famous stream outside Da Lat. “Two people drowned in a stream in Lam Dong Province on Monday after they tried to save one of their friends who fell into the cold water.”
- 11 July, 2015. Man, daughter drowned as large wave hits beach. “A man and his 22-year-old daughter drowned when a large wave hit a tourist beach in southern Vietnam Friday. Rescuers could only manage to save his 12-year-old son.”
- 7 July, 2015. 3 girls, aged 4 to 7, drown in central Vietnam pond. “Three little girls aged 4 to 7 drowned on Tuesday afternoon after falling into a small pond in the central province of Nghe An.”
- 6 July 2015, Woman blown away by strong winds, drowns in HCMC stream: police. “Heavy rains and strong winds on Sunday night in Ho Chi Minh City caused the death of a female bicycle rider and into a stream where high water and strong currents may have made it impossible for her to swim.”
- 3 July, 2015. 3 sisters drown in central Vietnam pond. “A young couple in the Central Highlands fainted when they saw the bodies of all their three daughters, who drowned in a pond near their home on Wednesday.”
- 1 June, 2015. 1 killed in Da Lat as heavy rain causes flash flood. “Tran Van Dinh, 68, slipped when he was working with some others to clear garbage that had been pushed around and onto a bridge by a two-hour downpour, blocking traffic.”
- 22 June, 2015. 6 Vietnamese children die in separate drownings in one weekend. “Four teenage girls may have slipped from a water pipeline while trying to cross a stream. Two young boys died in a pond trying to catch fish.”
- 20 June, 2015. 3 kids drown while bathing in Hanoi river. “Two boys and a girl drowned while bathing in a river in Hanoi on Thursday.”
- 26 May, 2015. 14 children drown in Vietnam province this month: officials. “Most of the cases occurred during weekends, when the children were trying to cool off in rivers and ponds, officials said.”
- 21 May, 2015. Four children drown in a stream in southern Vietnam. “Four children aged 8 to 14 drowned in a stream in Ba Ria Vung Tau Province on May 19, apparently when swimming after school.”