AusCham launches a new series today that profiles our new corporate / SME / NGO members. And it’s one with a twist.
AusCham’s newest corporate member, Lagler Australia, is based in Australia – and has no immediate plans to conduct business in Vietnam!
But, when back in Australia, Lagler Australia is a wholesale supplier of German-manufactured floorsanding machines together with the coatings, sandpaper etc.
In Vietnam, Lagler Australia’s Managing Director, Cameron Luke, has a genuine interest in two local organisations, namely:
- The Centre for Child Protection Vung Tau and Long Hai (financial supporter).
- The Vietnam Swans Australian Football Club (sponsor).
Cameron first visited Vietnam in 2011 and attended the Vietnam Swans’ 2nd Annual ANZAC Friendship Match in Vung Tau. On the day, funds are raised and donated to two causes: Swim Vietnam and the Centres for Child Protection in Vung Tau and Long Hai.
Cameron later said that, “When I first saw the great work the Swans were doing and I met Ms My Huong who helps run the orphanages, I felt compelled to help. I realised that even a small amount of money can go such a long way in Vietnam. Even just $50 can feed 130 kids for a day” said Cameron.
In the last three years, together with his customers and suppliers back in Australia, Cameron has raised AUD25,000.
At this year’s ANZAC Friendship Match, Cameron added, “This year is particularly special for me, not only because it’s the 100 year anniversary of ANZAC Day, but because with the inspiration of My Huong, there are plans to help create a business in Vung Tau. This business will provide a transition for the older kids in the orphanage into gainful and rewarding employment. It’s something My Huong is passionate about and it gives the kids the head start they need.”
AusCham is particularly pleased to welcome Lagler Australia as a 2015 Member and also applauds the work it is doing “sanding bridges between Australia and Vietnam”.
- (Lagler Australia) donat(es) a small mountain of food and supplies to the Long Hai Centre in the lead up to ANZAC Weekend, AusCham Website, 28 March 2015.
- ABC’s Foreign Correspondent aired a program on 21 April 2015 titled, Are you my Mother? The program visits My Huong at the Centre for the Protection of Children.
- Centre for Social Protection of Children, You Tube by Stephen Drummond, 2 March 2015.
- Lagler Australia’s website.
- The 2015 ANZAC Friendship Match.
OTHER NEWS ON THE AUSCHAM WEBSITE
In the toolbar of this website, click on “NEWS” for the drop down menu which includes: