Foreign labourers in Ho Chi Minh City will have to apply for new licenses, instead of extensions, when their work permits expire, according to a recent notice issued by the city’s labour authority.

Ho Chi Minh City Department of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs (DOLISA) issued Notice No.6107/SLDTBXH-VL on 16 May guiding the implementation of Decree No.102/2013/ND-CP detailing a number of articles of Vietnam’s Labour Code regarding foreign workers in Vietnam.immigration 300 180 Ho Chi Minh City stops extension option for foreign labourers’ work permits

According to the new decree, in order to apply for a work permit, foreign laborers must submit certificates of expertise/management, criminal records issued by their home/third authorities, and criminal records issued by Vietnamese agencies.

In cases where the expired work permits were issued under the provisions of Decree No.34/2008/ND-CP and Decree No.46/2011/ND-CP before the effective date of the new decree, enterprises shall apply to HCMC DOLISA for new work permits under the issued procedures.

Impact on the Foreign Employee / Assignee who will be working in Ho Chi Minh City

The existing Vietnamese law asks the records to be issued within six months of their submitting the application. Some foreigners may have to travel back to their home/third countries to get their criminal records.

Santa Fe Relocation Services can help foreigners obtain their criminal background checks without requiring them to return to their home/third countries, in most cases, and also have the documents legalized abroad on their behalf. Santa Fe can also do the same for other documents that need to be obtained and/or legalized abroad.

Should you have any questions, please contact:
Thao Dong
Immigration Consulting Services Manager
Santa Fe Relocation Services, Vietnam
T: +84 8 3933 0065 ext. 842

For all other inquiries, please email