It’s on again! The 2nd Annual Great ANZAC Debate will be held at the Caravelle Saigon* on Friday, 17 April, 2015. So, Save the Date!
Last year, in the great ANZAC tradition of friendly rivalry, six of the Greatest Minds from Australia and New Zealand engaged in an evening of wit, wisdom, irreverent banter and debate over a meal of fine ANZAC inspired fare, to finally resolve one of the greatest ANZAC conundrums:
Do New Zealanders who leave for Australia raise the IQ of both countries?
Controversially, the audience agreed with the New Zealand team which was captained by KPMG’s CEO, Warrick Cleine. The adjudicator (RMIT University’s President, Gael McDonald) had no choice but to declare the Kiwis as the winners.
And so, history now officially records that, when standing atop Mount Cook, those on the other side of the ditch have a higher IQ.
During the week, AusCham contacted a usually mild mannered Australian Captain and partner at Frasers Law Company, Justin Gisz, to ask him about plans to rectify the terrible wrong of last year…
Justin retorted, “Needless to say, I am as keen as mustard and am motivated amongst other factors by revenge.”
The 2015 Great ANZAC Debate should be a cracker of an evening. It promises to be bigger, more irreverent, more controversial and more better (sic) than last year.
Friday, 17 April, 2015. More details to follow.
Items for auction?
Do you have an item(s) for auction? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Proceeds will be donated to the Loreto Vietnam Australia Program (a different beneficiary will be nominated in 2016).
Photo caption above. Kiwi Captain, Warrick Cleine raises his arms in triumph after the Kiwis were declared the winners of last year’s Inaugural Great ANZAC Debate.
- The purpose of the Annual Great ANZAC Debate, which is jointly organised by AusCham and the New Zealand Chamber of Commerce, is to bring people together to commemorate a very significant anniversary that our two countries share. It is also designed to be a celebration of friendship in our host country of Vietnam and we will also raise funds for a very worthy cause.
- For photos of last year’s Inaugural Great ANZAC Debate, click here.
- This year’s ANZAC Day on 25 April, marks the 100th anniversary of the landings on ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli (Turkey) in 1915 during World War I.
- ANZAC Dawn Services will be held at the Long Tan Cross as well as HCMC and Hanoi on 25 April 2015. Details to follow.
- The Vietnam Swans Australian Football Club will host its 6th Annual ANZAC Friendship Match against the Singapore Wombats in Vung Tau on 25 April.
- *During the Vietnam/American War, the Embassies of Australia and New Zealand were located in the then Caravelle Hotel.