AusCham is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Ms Thuong Nguyen Sobey (also known as Nguyen Khanh Thuong) who died of breast cancer last Tuesday morning, 17 March 2015, at the age of 32.
Ms Sobey discovered she had breast cancer on 19 October 2013 – just four days after her engagement ceremony. Five months later, she founded Breast Cancer Network VietNam.
Ms Sobey took part in the 2014 World Cancer Congress in Melbourne sharing her organisation’s efforts in Viet Nam to lift the rate of early detections as well as the quality of life for women with breast cancer.
Just last month, she joined World Cancer Day on 4 February and shared her own photo album to voice the message that Cancer is Not Beyond Us.
Last November, Ms Sobey, an Australian Alumni from the University of Technology, Sydney, won the Annual Australian Alumni Award for Sustainable Social Development (click here to read citation) from the VGAC (Vietnamese Graduates from Australia Club).
While she was not able to attend the Awards ceremony, Ms Sobey was represented by an extremely proud sister who conveyed her thanks and appreciation to the organisers. She then introduced the following video Stronger than Fear, which features her incredible sister:
On the day of Ms Sobey’s passing, the Breast Cancer Network Vietnam website stated that, “Though she is resting in peace, all her work will be continued and followed by millions of members, volunteers, the youth in Viet Nam and all over the world.
“This journey will not stop. And we will still be living like warriors.”
On behalf of all members and friends, AusCham sends our deepest sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of Ms Sobey.
- And her living will never stop, Breast Cancer Network Vietnam, Khanh Chi, 20 March 2015
- Minister of Health sends letter of condolence to Nguyen Khanh Thuong’s family, BCNV Website, 17 March 2015
- Please live like a Warrior, BCNV Website, 17 March 2015
- Nguyen Khanh Thuong – Founder of Breast Cancer Network VietNam (BCNV) has passed away, UICC Global Cancer Control Website, 17 March, 2015
- Vietnamese cancer heroine loses her battle at 32, Thanh Nhien News, 17 March, 2015
- 2014 VGAC Australian Alumni Awards (includes Ms Sobeys’ citation), AusCham Website, 13 November, 2014
- Vietnamese Graduates from Australia Club, Official website of the VGAC