On February 21, 2014, the Minister of National Defense, General Phung Quang Thanh, on behalf of the Standing Committee of the Central Military Party Committee presented the decision to appoint Australian Business Alumni, Major General Nguyen Manh Hung to the position of General Director of the Viettel Group.
Mr. Hung, began his new post on 1 March, 2014, replacing retired Lieutenant General Hoang Anh Xuan.
Mr Hung, born in 1962, is an Australian Business Alumni with a Master of Telecommunications degree from the University of Sydney (Cat Thao Nguyen also studied at University of Sydney and released her book, We Are Here in February 2015). He also holds a master’s degree in business administration from the National Economics University in Hanoi.
According to Tuoi Tre News, Mr. Hung is one of the first officials dispatched by the Ministry of Defense to work for Viettel from the founding day in 1989. He held the position of deputy director of the Military Telecom Co from June 2000 and deputy general director of Viettel Group from January 2010 to date.
In addition to the position of deputy general director of Viettel, he also concurrently holds leadership positions in many companies that Viettel has already invested in, including vice chairman of the Military Bank, board member of Vinaconex, board member of Viettel Global, board member of Vinaconex – Viettel Finance, and chairman of Viettel – CHT Venture.
At a meeting in Hanoi yesterday, the Prime Minister, Nguyen Tan Dung, Urged Viettel to become a regional leading telecommunications group.
In 2014, Viettel:
- Earned US$9.38 billion, 20 percent more than last year.
- Increased its pre-tax profit by 15 per cent to US$2 billion. This figure represents 23 percent of the profit made by firms owned by the State.
- Paid tax of $714 million making it the single biggest contributor to the state’s coffers.
- Employed 90,000 people (75,000 in Vietnam and 15,000 abroad).
It has thus far invested in nine countries, namely Laos, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Haiti, Peru, Mozambique, Cameroon, Tanzania, and Burundi.
Photo credit: Tuoi Tre News
Another Amazing Aussie Alumni in Business (cont.)…
- Swinburne Alumnus, Mr Cu Anh Tuan, appointed as General Director of ABBank, 15 May 2015
- Swinburne Alumnus, Pham Van Dung, appointed MD of Ford Vietnam, 24 July 2015
- Do you know of any other business news involving Australian Alumni? Please share with AusCham’s Executive Director, Phil Johns as the Chamber continues to raise the visibility of Amazing Australian Alumni in Business.
- Viettel’s vice chief appointed as new CEO, Tuoi Tre News, 27 February 2015
- Major General Nguyen Manh Hung appointed Viettel’s General Director, Viettel Press Release, 3 March 2015
- Viettel urged to become regional leading telecommunications group, Prime Minister’s Website, 12 March 2015
OTHER NEWS ON THE AUSCHAM WEBSITE
In the toolbar of this website, click on “NEWS” for the drop down menu which includes: